These bite-size BLT appetizers are awesome! An open face version of my favorite sandwich, these little guys consist of a crunchy bacon and Parmigiano cheese cracker that’s topped with a tangy mayonnaise spread, a chunk of bacon, a single arugula leaf and half of a cherry tomato. They are easy to make, and they really do taste just like a BLT! Be forewarned: If you make these for a party, make plenty… my personal experience has shown that these mini BLT’s will channel David Copperfield and disappear right before your very eyes!
This is what you will need to make these tasty tidbits:
- Crackers (makes 24):
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 strips thick-sliced bacon, cooked until crisp and blotted on paper towels
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat or unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- ½ teaspoon minced sage leaf
- 4 strips thick-sliced bacon cooked until crisp, blotted on paper towels and cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces
- 24 unblemished baby arugula leaves with stems removed
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Make the Crackers:
- Combine flour, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, sugar, baking powder, sea salt, and a generous pinch of black pepper in a food processor. Pulse once or twice, add bacon, and process until bacon is finely chopped. Add the milk, bacon fat or butter, and process until mixture pulls together.
- Remove the dough and roll into a log about 1¼ inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice dough crosswise into just under ¼-inch-thick slices and bake on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a small bowl, blend the mayonnaise, parsley, shallots and sage. Spread the mixture on the crackers. Add the bacon, arugula and tomato halves, cut-side down, and serve.
Recipe provided by: Seduced by Bacon: Recipes & Lore About America’s Favorite Indulgence