Bacon and scallops always pair beautifully. In this recipe orchestrated by The Bacon Hunter’s midwest correspondent, “Bajan D”, it is the mixture of sugar and spice that transforms these easy-to-make hors d’oeuvres into something very special. Finished over charcoal and cherry wood for a sensuous, tasty treat and paired with an amazing Spanish Cava…Wow! Easy to make — you must give this one a go!
- 6 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (preferably Madras)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 5 bacon slices (center cut, thick cut)
- 10 large sea scallops (1 lb), tough ligament removed from side of each if necessary and scallops halved crosswise (edge to edge)
- Special equipment: wooden toothpicks
- Fire up charcoal grill, coals placed in barbecue for direct heat.
- Stir together brown sugar, curry powder, and cayenne in a bowl until combined well.
- Cook bacon in a heavy skillet over moderate heat until some fat has rendered and edges begin to brown but bacon is still flexible, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain and cool.
- Cut bacon slices in half lengthwise and then crosswise, so you have 20 small strips.
- Divide sugar mixture among slices, spreading evenly on bacon slices and lightly pressing to help it adhere.
- Place 1 scallop half, cut side down, on a slice of sugar-coated bacon, then wrap bacon around scallop. Repeat in cross pattern and secure with a toothpick.
- Transfer to lightly oiled BBQ rack.
- When coals are hot, add cherry wood chips and allow chips to ignite before placing BBQ rack directly on grill.
- Close barbecue lid and smoke until bacon is browned and scallops are opaque, about 6 minutes total.
- Serve immediately!
Pre-cooked bacon wrapped scallop ready for its closeup!
It ain’t nothing but a grill party!