I love a good Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich. The beauty in that statement is there are no bad BLT’s, so picking a favorite becomes a life long pleasure. One look at the photo above and you will understand why this one is my current choice.
Everyone tweaks the BLT to their liking by working up different combinations of ingredients, and this is what you’ll need to reconstruct this beauty all on your own:
Ingredients (2 sandwiches):
* 4 slices of fresh sourdough bread — at least 1/2 inch thick, toasted
* 6 slices butcher’s thick cut applewood smoked bacon, cooked until crispy
* 1 ripe Haas avocado, pitted and thin sliced
* 4 TBSP mayonnaise
* 1/2 Meyer lemon, juiced (blend in mayonnaise before spreading on toast)
* 1 heirloom tomato, thin sliced
* Butter lettuce leafs (3-4)
* Sea salt
Now you are ready to enjoy a savory masterpiece! The toasted sourdough bread sets a delicious stage, and the mayo with the lemon juice really adds a nice, subtle kick. The pleasantly sweet and salty/smoky applewood bacon is obviously the dominant player here. The heirloom tomato and avocado slices contribute richness, and the butter lettuce and the sprouts bring interesting textures and wonderful flavors of their own. Delicious!
So, that’s my BLT. What variation is your favorite? Let me know in the comment box –